Accelerator Programs: An Attempt At ClassificationAdded by itxaso on Tue 17th Jul, 2012 17:54
Digital Accelerators, investing across the board in anything related to software/mobile/internet/media. Some of the best known examples in the US and Europe are:
- TechStars (various locations in the US) Some of their portfolio companies are: Baydin.com, Dispatch.io, Foodzie and Lore.com
- Y Combinator (SF/US) Some of their portfolio companies are: Airbnb, Dropbox, Heroku, Reddit, OMGPOP, Cloudkick and Zenter
- Excelerate Labs (Chicago/US) Some of their companies are: FeeFighters, Fan Go, ScholarPRO and Tap.Me
- Seedcamp (UK/Europe) Some of their portfolio companies are TransferWise, CrashPadder, EDITD, Holvi, Teleportd and Farmeron.
- Springboard (UK/Europe) Some of their portfolio companies are Playmob, MiniMonos, TotalGigs, Knodium and Tray.io
- Startupbootcamp (Denmark/Ireland/Spain/Netherlands/Germany/UK) Some of the companies in their portfolio are: Opara, SkynetLabs, Gruvi and SocialExpress
- LaunchPad (Ireland) Some of the companies: getHealth, iCabbi, UVoice and Smarter.ie
Vertically focused accelerators, investing in specific sectors/platform such as mobile, education and fin tech. Here some examples:
- Imagine 12 (SV/US) Focused on startups in the K12 education space. Some of the companies are: LearnSprout, Tap to Learn and ClassDojo
- Springboard Mobile (UK/Europe) Focused on mobile services and technology. Applications for the first program are open now!
- TechStars Cloud (TX/US) Focused on cloud computing and cloud infrastructure.
- FintechInnovation Lab (NYC/US) focused on FinTech startups.
Corporate Accelerators in which corporates are providing funding, mentoring, training and sometimes also space to startups. Some examples are:
- BizSpark – Global. Well established program providing Microsoft support to entrepreneurs
- Wayra (Germany/Ireland/Peru/Spain/Argentine/UK/Other locations) Wayra provides mentorship, investment and space.
Regional focused accelerators, investing in startups located in a specific region or/and spinning out from universities and research centres located in that area.
- Oxygen Accelerator (Birmingham/UK) Some startups coming out from this program are Fashini and Hobzy
Emerging Market Accelerators, focused on investing in developing countries such as Africa and Asia
- HumanIPO (Nairobi, Kenya) Investing in companies targeting African markets
Founder centric accelerators, working with skilled, passioned and driven entrepreneurs to come up with ideas and build companies from scratch.
- Social Innovation Fund (UK): brings together ideas, people and digital tools to build web-based solutions to social problems.
- Entrepreneur First (UK) is a national graduate scheme for aspiring entrepreneurs.